Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide
if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding,
make even more art. --andy warhol



Monday, August 8, 2011

Hi, my name is Stampchick and I'm a career crafter.

How well do you know yourself?  I thought I knew myself pretty well, but I did not think of myself as a "crafter".   "I'm new to crafting," is actually what I generally think.    But, although it shocks me to think of it, I have been creating some type of  art with rubber stamps for over twenty years now.  In fact, I often consider that rubber stamping is what started me on a creative life.  But I woke up this morning in a new world (as often happens with me, I have to admit) and something made me start to reminisce about all the different crafts I have explored during my life.  Let's see.  There was my latch hook rug phase.  That was fun.  Embroidery.  Then there was tole painting.  What else?  Oh, yes.  That huge cross-stitch phase I went through.  (I've got tons of stuff that I actually finished during that one.)  Calligraphy.  Stencil art.  And along came rubber stamping.  That one has been massive and has lots of branches -- collage; bookmaking; working with wax; shrink art; assemblage art -- I know the list goes on, but I simply can't remember or categorize it all.  And now it has led me to another huge one which is jewelry making.

Hand in hand with this idea of being a "new" crafter, I tend to think of myself as a perpetual student.  Maybe it's because I have explored so many different types of crafting.  Or maybe it's just because I'm so darn humble.  Either way, I've decided to stop being so quiet about it and start sharing what I'm doing through a blog.  It may be a new technique.  It may be a new spin on an old technique.  It may be a new craft altogether.  Or maybe I'll just share about something cool in the art world that I have discovered.  Either way, it should be fun.
I just can't get over that I have never consider myself a crafter when, in fact, it has been who I am all along.  Go figure.

1 comment:

  1. Carol...I always thought crafter was a dirty word too. I think it's in style now. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete