Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide
if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding,
make even more art. --andy warhol



Sunday, August 21, 2011

Small successes are the best!

Isn't it funny how the smallest things can somehow give you the most satisfaction?!  As I work toward my goal of actually finishing all of the projects that I started last week at Stampaway, the most recent obstacle to get in my way was a felted heart charm that is to be attached to a very cool bracelet.  Two small pieces of red felt -- seed beeds -- it all looked and seemed so easy.  True, I'm not the most proficient felter in the world.  I really haven't felted much (if anything) at all, in fact.  But, hey, I've watched some felting videos and made a few felted books with my art club girls.  That was fun.  So I wasn't daunted by this little felted and beaded heart charm.  My first wave of success came when I successfully felted the two little red squares I had been given.  It was pretty easy and looked so good!  Now to just add the seed beeds.  That shouldn't be any problem, right?  I'm certainly no stranger to needle arts.  (Refer to my first blog entry with the litany of the many crafts I have explored throughout my life!)  What I may not have mentioned is my amazing ability to underestimate things.  So it really shouldn't have surprised me when I found myself ripping out the stitches from my perfect little red heart after only having attached a half dozen or so seed beeds that were about as crooked as they come.

And so it began.  My quest to find something to explain the mysteries of attaching seed beeds to felt in some sort of coherent fashion.  Again, not as easy as you might imagine.  Do you have any idea how many tutorials there are on the internet to explain how to make felt beads?  Apparently, I had imagined any felted projects onto which seed beeds were attached.  But every search I tried turned up dozens of videos and articles about making felted beads.  After a couple of hours, believe me, I was tempted to give in and just abandon my felted heart and just make a felted bead to attach instead!  But I persevered and finally stumbled on something that made some sense to me and headed to my art room to try it out.  Woohooo!  I cannot tell you the sense of success I felt when I ended up with exactly what I had been trying to accomplish.  Check it out below.

Isn't it pretty?!

No comments:

Post a Comment